Sacajawea State Park

◄ Back
September 15, 2021 3:00 PM

Blue Green Algae- Keep small children and pets away from the water

Bacteria produced in toxic algae blooms is particularly dangerous for small children and animals, according to the Benton Franklin Health District.
Symptoms can appear in people in 30 minutes to 24 hours, depending on the size of the person and the amount of toxins swallowed. They include jaundice, shock, abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, severe thirst and a pulse that may be rapid or weak.
Dogs and other animals are often exposed by drinking contaminated water, swallowing water while swimming or licking the toxin and bacteria from their fur, according to the state Department of Health.
If you suspect your pets or livestock have been exposed to a toxic algae bloom, immediately wash them off with clean water to keep them from licking the bacteria off their fur.

Facebook Twitter Email