Clean Vessel Act
The federal Clean Vessel Act provides funds to help reduce pollution from vessel sewage discharges into U.S. waters from the following sources:
- import duties on fishing tackle, pleasure boats and yachts
- taxes on fishing equipment
- motorboat fuel tax
- tax on electric motors
- small engine fuel tax
- interest earned on Trust Fund
Washington State Parks offers grants to both public and private sector boating facility operators for the construction, renovation, operation, and maintenance of stationary and mobile pump-outs, portable toilet dump stations, and pump-out boats for use by recreational boaters. The program also provides boater education to promote public awareness about the environmental effects of improper boat sewage disposal.
Keeping the waters clean
In 2018, Washington boaters prevented a record 10.8 million gallons of sewage from contaminating Washington's waters by using Clean Vessel Act pump-out facilities. A clean marine environment is very important for everyone to enjoy the beautiful bodies of water throughout Washington. Boaters are leaders in keeping Washington's waterways clean.
Washington offers approximately 145 Clean Vessel Act funded disposal facilities with a variety of stationary and portable pump-outs that provide a convenient way to properly dispose of boat sewage. For additional convenience pump-out skiffs that can service boats right in their slips are also available in many marinas and on Lake Washington, Portage Bay, the Duwamish River, Gig Harbor and Liberty Bay.
Find out more about the Puget Sound No Discharge Zone (NDZ) that went into effect May 10, 2018
For more information, choose a map below to find a pumpout location near you.
- Washington State Pumpout Locations
- Northern Puget Sound Pumpout Locations
- Central / Southern Puget Sound Pumpout Locations
- Seattle Area Pumpout Locations
- Tacoma Area Pumpout Locations
Other pumpout information sites
- Boat.wa.gov is Washington's boating information portal owned by the State Recreation and Conservation Office
- Pumpout Washington is owned and maintained by Washington Sea Grant