Moorage Permit


Do you enjoy mooring overnight at Washington’s state parks buoys, docks and floats? Then you could save money with the Annual Moorage Permit. The permit is good for one vessel from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, and only for saltwater moorage..

Annual moorage permit cost: $5 per foot of vessel length, with a $60 minimum (dock, buoy, float or linear moorage).  The permit is assigned to one vessel and is not interchangeable.

Overnight costs (without a moorage permit):

  • Dock moorage — 70 cents per foot of vessel length
  • Buoy or  float moorage—$15

By your eighth night, the permit will have paid for itself when compared to the daily fee!

How do I buy an Annual Moorage Permit?

  • Purchase your permit online. We will send it to your mailing address. We also will email you a 20-day temporary permit, so you can use it right away.
  • Print out an application here and mail it in with a check or money order.
  • In-person at State Park headquarters, the Northwest regional office in Burlington and at many marine state parks and state parks (when staff are available).

How to use the permit

  1. When you arrive at a buoy, dock or float and secure your vessel, go ashore and register. (Boats over 45 feet will not be permitted to moor on buoys. Larger boats can tie up at docks and linear moorage.)
  2. Locate the nearest pay station, usually near parking lots or information kiosks. Fill out a fee envelope, making sure to include your boat moorage permit number.
  3. Tear the receipt from the fee envelope to keep as your receipt, leave the rest of the envelope in the fee box.
  4. Affix your moorage permit to your vessel so it can easily be seen. For boats with windshields  place the sticker in the lower port (left) corner of the windshield.  For boats without windshields, place the sticker on the port side of your transom. For sailboats, place sticker on the forward portion of the port cabin trunk.
  5. Vessels that are rafted to other vessels must pay regular moorage fees.

Where can I moor?

Washington state parks and marine parks offer countless boating adventures in the:


  • Fees and the permit are required after 1 p.m. at all moorages.
  • For more information or help send an email to or call our Information Center at (360) 902-8844 

Purchase in person

A moorage permit may also be purchased in person at the following locations and state parks:

State Parks HQ (Tumwater)
Northwest Region Office (Burlington)
Beacon Rock
Blake Island
Deception Pass

Fort Flagler
Fort Worden
Jarrell Cove
Joemma Beach
Lime Kiln
Sequim Bay
Sucia Island