Instructor-led courses offer students the chance to interact with an experienced boater, learn specific local boating information, and network with other boaters.
The course length, date and cost all vary, depending on the independent instructor. The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission does not establish course fees or location of the classroom.
Find a classroom course near you
The class schedule (PDF) reflects all upcoming classes reported to State Parks from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadron and independent instructors. Other certified classes may be offered, but not reflected on this schedule.
The following organizations offer state-authorized boating education courses.
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Instructor-led virtual video conferences
- The course is 8 hours.
- Courses are scheduled as four days a week, two hours each day.
- Course fees vary
- About Boating Safely
- Boating Skills and Seamanship
- The course is 8-13 lessons (exceeds minimum state requirements)
- Courses are scheduled as weekly for 6-7 weeks
- Course fees vary
Find a U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary class near you.
Americas boating club
(formerly U.S. Power Squadron)
- America's Boating Course (ABC)
- Course fees vary by location
- Courses are scheduled as one night per week for three or four weeks or two half-days
- The course is eight hours
For USPS class schedules, go online or call 888-FOR-USPS.
Adventures in Boating Washington - Classroom Course
This course was developed specifically for Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Independent instructors teaching this course are certified by the agency. The course covers a number of important safety topics.
The course length, date, and cost all vary depending on the independent instructor teaching the course. The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission does not establish the course fees or location of the classroom. Several community colleges offer this course through their continuing education programs.