The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission is a seven-member volunteer citizen commission that provides policy direction for the agency. The commission hires an agency director, who in turn hires executive leaders to guide the agency. The members are as follows:
- Agency Director - Don Hoch
- Assistant Director, Operations - Mike Sternback
- Assistant Director, Parks Development - Peter Herzog
- Assistant Director, Administrative Services - Shelly Hagen
- Human Resources Director - Becky Daniels
- Communications Director - Vacant
- Policy and Government Affairs Director - Owen Rowe
- Executive Assistant to the Director and Commission - Becki Ellison
Region managers oversee state park areas and park managers and report to the assistant director of park operations.
- Ryan Layton (Eastern)
- Scott Griffith (Eastern)
- Jon Crimmins (Northwest)
- Shawn Tobin (Northwest)
- Matt Niles (Southwest)
- Darrel Hopkins (Southwest)
Development, operations, and public service are administered through the following service units:
- Three region offices and Fort Worden State Park and Conference Center - managing operations of parks and recreation areas, including partnerships. The three region offices are the Eastern Region headquartered in Wenatchee, the Northwest Region in Burlington, and the Southwest Region in Olympia.
- Park Planning and Development Service Center - acquiring, planning, and building parks, partnerships, and stewardship of natural, cultural, and historical resources, including interpretive services, historic preservation, and environmental review.
- Operations - controlling park operations, including rangers, law enforcement, volunteers, visitor services, interpretation, infrastructure, and maintenance. Care of natural, cultural, and historical resources and special programs including boating safety and winter recreation.
- Human Resources Office - recruiting, hiring, training of staff, workforce diversity, and employee safety. The agency provides excellent parks and services with the work of approximately 540 full-time, permanent employees, 500 seasonal employees, and approximately 1,000 volunteers who contribute more than 250,000 hours a year. In addition, approximately 270 partner groups help sustain the park system. The volunteer aid provided the agency is equivalent to approximately 138 full-time staff.