Remote Controlled Aircraft Permit

Washington State Parks allows the use of remote controlled aircraft, also known as drones or unmanned aircraft systems, on a limited basis. Permits are required for each instance of their use. For adequate processing time, please submit your permit application to the park 60 days prior to the date you plan to fly your remote controlled aircraft.

For more information on applying for a remote controlled aircraft permit, please read the Remote Controlled Aircraft Permit Instructions (PDF). A non-refundable application fee of $25 is due upon submission of a permit application (PDF). Additional fees may be assessed.

Use of remote controlled aircraft

The use of remote controlled aircraft is regulated within State Parks by WAC 352-32-130 (5) and WAC 352.37.170 (3), which allows for the flying of remote controlled aircraft with written permission of the director or designee. Remote controlled aircraft may be permitted on a single occurrence or limited duration basis with written permission from the director or designee. The request may be for recreational or commercial purposes, and permittees are required to comply with all state and federal rules and regulations, including the Federal Aviation Administration guidelines on use of drones.

The use of remote controlled aircraft also is regulated by the Federal Government. The two most relevant rules are Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulation (14 CFR) Part 107 and Public Law 112-95, Section 336 Special Rules for Model Aircraft.

Use of drones for filming and professional photography

When requesting to use a remote controlled aircraft for filming or still photography, you may need an additional film permit. If taking pictures for personal use only, no additional permit is required.

If you are taking pictures for professional and commercial purposes, fill out the sections regarding filming as well as on your application and only include the fee for film permit.

Professional/commercial photography purpose definition: When an individual or organization wants to film and/or take still photography in a state park with the intent to sell or otherwise use the products for an economic gain (includes catalog or other advertising still photography).

For more information on filming in state parks, please visit the film permit webpage.

Contact information

To apply for permits, send a completed application, payment and insurance binder to the park where the activities will occur. See park contact list (PDF) for park addresses, emails and phone numbers.

If you need additional information or are unable to use the provided links, contact the following locations for assistance or to request a printed application packet.

Eastern Region Office

270 Ninth Street NE
Suite 200
East Wenatchee, WA 98802
Phone: (509) 665-4319
Email the Eastern Region Office

Southwest Region Office

1111 Israel Road SW
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504
Phone: (360) 725-9770
Email the Southwest Region Office

Northwest Region Office

220 N. Walnut Street
Burlington, WA 98233
Phone: (360) 755-9231
Email the Northwest Region Office

For more information regarding state permitting requirements, contact the Governor's Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA).